Pages

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Gin(ger) and Juice


While we are all enjoying the lovely spring weather, some of us, myself included, are trying to fight off a cold/allergies or some sort of bug due to the weather change.

I have to admit I'm not much of a medicine taker so this vitamin C packed juice really helped me kick this cold.  The fresh ginger root helps with throat and sinus congestion while the coconut water (Trader Joe's brand is my favorite) is super hydrating.


OK so now about that really pretty Soda Stream in the picture above.  I almost couldn't live without it!  After spending two weeks in Europe I found a new love for soda water and now I can make it anytime I want.  If you are a soda water lover I highly suggest you look into investing in this beauty!  The perfect amount of fizz made my "get well" juice delightful and well, not so much like a "get well" juice.

So if you are starting to feel that tickle in your throat mix up some Gin(ger) and Juice!

Note:  The title of this post was inspired by our Pandora Radio listening this week while cooking.  We've been feeling a little "gangsta" and throwing it back with some real rap/hip-hop music.  Thank you 2Pac, Notorious B.I.G. and Snoop Dogg!  Seriously, "musicians" of today please start creating your own music, tell us a story, and lastly, PLEASE bring back the girl singing the hook!





Gin(ger) and Juice

2-4 slices fresh ginger root
1/2 cup fresh squeezed mandarin juice (substitute oranges, grapefruit or lemons)
1 sprig fresh mint 
3/4 cup coconut water
Soda water

Place the ginger into an 16 ounce (1 pint) jar.  Muddle the ginger slightly.  Pour the mandarin juice into the jar. Refrigerate for about an hour or over night to marinate.  Note: You can use immediately, however the ginger flavor will not be as strong.

Once marinated add the coconut water, top with soda water and garnish with mint.  Add ice if desired.  Enjoy!


















Feeling fine and ready for cocktail hour?  Add 1-1/2 to 2 ounces of your favorite spirit such as vodka, tequila or gin to turn this juice into a spring time cocktail.






No comments:

Post a Comment