Pages

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Amped Up Quesadilla


This amped up quesadilla came about one afternoon while I was in search of something more interesting than a salad or sandwich for lunch.  While this blog and my Instagram may give the appearance that my husband and I have extravagant meals all the time, we are actually quite boring when it comes to lunch.  Especially during the week.

My old faithful; kale, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, whatever veggies are in the fridge, pumpkin seeds and black olives don't always call my name everyday around noon.  So last week I raided our overflowing cheese drawer (yes, I have a cheese obsession) and went searching for something that would excite my palate and keep me full through the afternoon.  Well, at least until cocktail hour which is always accompanied by a snack.



The asparagus and spinach needed to be used up so in they went along with the creamy blue and brie cheeses.  Lucky for me my husband is a Mexican food fanatic so we always have tortillas on hand and usually the burrito size ones at that.  Toasted in the pan with a bit of butter I was able to sit down within 10 minutes to a lovely, non-boring lunch!




Blue and Brie Cheese Quesadilla with Asparagus and Spinach






Ingredients
1 large burrito size tortilla
4-6 slices double cream brie cheese
4-6 slices blue cheese (I use Castello soft blue triple creme)
4 asparagus spears (or 6 if they are thin), sliced lengthwise then cut into 1-2 inch pieces
1/2 cup fresh spinach, chopped
Butter or olive oil for the pan

In a large pan or skillet melt a small pat of butter (or a bit of olive oil) over medium heat.  Place the tortilla in the pan.  On one half of the tortilla place half of the blue cheese and brie cheese.  Place the asparagus and spinach on top and then the remaining half of the cheeses.  Fold over the other side of the tortilla covering the cheeses and vegetables.  Cook for about 4-5 minutes until golden brown.  Flip the quesadilla and cook on the other side for another 3-4 minutes, until golden brown and the cheeses have melted.  Remove the quesadilla from the pan and allow to cool for a few minutes then cut into quarters and serve.  Makes 1 serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment