Pages

Monday, March 3, 2014

Citrus Sunshine

First, so sorry for the long break.  I have been buried under costume books, ordering props and putting all my creative juices into my choreography.  I'm now finally creeping out from under it all as recital season is in full swing and spring is just around the corner.

While there seems to be, hopefully the last winter storm of the season hitting my family and friends on the east coast and us Californian's "recovering" from the rain I thought a little sunshine is in need.  Citrus is in season and if you are lucky to find those beloved blood oranges you are probably jumping for joy like my sister and I. My go to recipe using those lovely sweet and vibrant oranges is, well of course, MARGARITAS!  However, I thought my/our livers could use a (short) break from alcohol and get a little healthier with this spring inspired salad tossed in a creamy and tangy avocado dressing.

Here's looking forward to spring!


Citrus Salad with Avocado Mint Dressing

Ingredients
2 slices grapefruit, rind removed and quartered
2 blood orange, sliced (see instructions below)
3 cups chopped baby bok choy
1-2 tablespoons avocado dressing (see recipe below)

Avocado Mint Dressing

Ingredients
1 ripe avocado
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons cold water or more if you like thinner
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 shallot roughly chopped
2-3 tablespoons fresh mint chopped
Salt and pepper to taste

Place all of the ingredients into a food processor.  Blend until smooth.  Add more water if you prefer your dressing thinner.


Slicing Citrus:
Slice off the ends of the citrus. Slice the sides of the citrus to the membrane.  Slice the citrus into 1/4 inch thick slices.


Assembling the Salad:
In a medium mixing bowl place the grapefruit, blood oranges, baby bok choy and dressing.  Toss to combine and evenly coat with the dressing.  Serve immediately. Makes 2-4 servings.



No comments:

Post a Comment