Pages

Friday, January 11, 2013

Roasted Chickpeas

My husband is constantly trying to get me to love and eat beans.  I admit, I am just not a bean lover.  However, these little beans are packed full of fiber so I figured I would give them a try.  Roasting them was my best option to to enjoy the health benefits.  Besides, anything roasted and crunchy, I love.  

These easy to make roasted chickpeas are a perfect snack for anyone who is trying to add a little more fiber to their diet.  Chickpeas (also known as garbanzo beans), are most often seen in the form of hummus but when roasted they become a lovely toasted treat that is great alone or on top of your favorite salad.  Try it on this one that I recently made.  I decided to make two different flavors to accommodate my spice lovers and those who like it a little more tame.



Spicy Roasted Chickpeas

Ingredients
1 15-ounce can organic garbanzo beans
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

Drain and rinse the beans in a strainer.  Continue rinsing the beans until the foamy liquid goes away.  Place the beans on a paper towel and pat dry.  Leave them to air dry for about another 10 minutes.  

In a small mixing bowl combine the garbanzo beans, olive oil, salt, garlic powder, red pepper flakes and smoked paprika.  Toss, making sure the beans are covered in all the spices. 

Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.  Place the seasoned garbanzo beans on the lined baking sheet and roast in the oven for 20 minutes.  After the 20 minutes, remove the beans from the oven and stir.  Place them back in the oven for another 20 minutes.  After fully roasted, remove them from the oven and allow to cool before serving.

Herbed Roasted Chickpeas

Ingredients
1 15-ounce can organic garbanzo beans
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme

Follow the instructions above and enjoy!







No comments:

Post a Comment