Pages

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Antioxidant Blueberry Sunday

Blueberries, rich in antioxidants and vitamin C, make this small powerful fruit a great immune booster. While some of us may be fighting this seasons flu, I thought this Blueberry-Ginger Snap Cookie Crumble would be the perfect dessert to end this month's detoxing theme.  

Speaking of desserts it was brought to my attention that I haven't really posted any.  I have to admit I am the savory type.  Those who know me best, know that I am more likely to grab a bag of chips over chocolate as a treat.  However, I do crave sweets from time to time and per a request from one of my students (I'm a dance teacher) and her mother I have whipped up this scrumptious dessert.  

But before giving you the recipe, I have to thank my student Michelle and her mom, who made this request, for their never ending support and love for my desserts.  I think they'll find this funny, but I often find their praise surprising because I really never thought of myself as a great or even good baker (that's my husband's forte).   So here goes.  I hope you all enjoy!


Blueberry-Ginger Snap Cookie Crumble


Ingredients
2 pints fresh blueberries, washed
1 tablespoon turbinado or raw sugar
1/2 cup + 1 teaspoon virgin coconut oil, in liquid form (see notes)
1-1/4 cup ginger snap cookies, crushed (I use Trader Joe's Triple Ginger Snap Cookies)
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

First rub the inside of a 9-inch baking dish with the 1 teaspoon of coconut oil.  In a medium bowl, place the blueberries and turbinado sugar and toss to coat.  Pour them into the prepared baking dish.

In a separate medium bowl, place the ginger snap cookies, flour and brown sugar.  Pour in the 1/2 cup the coconut oil and stir until well combined.  Sprinkle the topping over the blueberries and bake for 30-35 minutes.  Blueberries should be bubbling a bit and the topping should be browned.  Remove the crumble from the oven and allow to cool for about 15-20 minutes.  Serve on its own or with vanilla or coconut ice cream.  Makes about 6 servings.

This wonderful dessert can be made into individual servings.  Simply distribute the blueberries and cookie mixture evenly into smaller ramekins.

Notes:  Virgin coconut oil will solidify in cooler temperatures.  To liquefy either place the jar in a bowl of hot water or warm the oil in a small sauce pan on the stove on low heat until it becomes liquid. 

No comments:

Post a Comment