Pages

Monday, August 31, 2015

Salsa, Salad or Both?!

Who needs an easy to make salsa that can also be a salad?  You all should be saying "ME!"  I've been making this salad, I mean salsa, all summer and I'm so excited to finally getting around to sharing it.

Full disclosure, I'm sort of a bean hater.  I have never liked and will never like refried beans. I believe its a texture thing.  I wish you could see my face as I'm typing this because I'm sure my expression is the exact replica of Disgust from Inside Out, which is a movie everyone should see.  Anyhow, my Mexican food lover husband is a bean fanatic.  So to keep us both happy I combined black beans with my favorite summer vegetables.  

This festive salsa/salad is super versatile.  It makes the best companions with tortilla chips, chicken tacos, grilled fish, a bed of leafy lettuce, red cabbage or kale and of coure a great margarita.  Oh, and the longer it marinates the better it is.  It's the perfect addition to your Labor Day and end of summer gatherings!  Enjoy!

Roasted Corn and Black Bean Salsa Salad

Ingredients
2 ears fresh corn
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 - 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup radishes, chopped
1/2 cup orange or red bell pepper, diced
1/2 medium red onion, diced
1 jalapeno, seeds removed and diced
1-2 limes, juiced
1-2 garlic cloves, minced
1-1/2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to broil.

Carefully cut the corn off the cob.  Spread the corn onto a foil lined baking sheet.  Drizzle the olive oil over the corn and season with salt a pepper.  Broil in the oven until slightly charred, about 5-7 minutes.  Remove the corn from the oven and allow to cool.

Combine the remainder of the ingredients into a medium bowl.  Add the roasted corn and stir to combine.  Season with salt and pepper.  Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to one day ahead of serving.  Makes about 3 cups.


No comments:

Post a Comment