Pages

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Oh Happy Summer!

Summer has begun and is finally in full swing.  School has ended, graduations have been celebrated and the curtain has closed on those end of the year shows, recitals and performances.  The days have become warmer, longer and hopefully a bit more lazy for everyone.  As families are packing up for weekends at the shore, an epic summer vacation or simply a backyard barbecue with friends, I am beginning my time off by reflecting on my year as a dance teacher.























I am so fortunate to be doing something I truly love and even more, sharing it with some amazing children.  While I am working on instilling discipline, good work ethics, technique, teamwork and confidence (the list could go on) into my students I was able to take a step back this year and take in all the things they were teaching me.

Photography credits: Michael Tillman Photography, Robin Aronson Photography and Hanna Ghadessi

I have learned a new kind of patience, thank you 6-7 year olds and teens.

I have learned that everything isn't always that serious and getting angry isn't the answer.  However, keep missing the same correction and I promise my angry eyes/disappointed face will most likely happen.


I have learned to let you dance more and enjoy yourselves, but don't worry technique is still #1 in my book.

I have learned that you really are listening to me and that you want to be heard in return.

I have learned to be more than just a teacher and that dance mommying is really hard.

I have learned that teenage life in 2014 isn't too far off from 1997.
Well, minus the Snap Chat, Instagram, Facebook and the perfect selfie.

I have learned that while you are growing up fast and need your independence, you are still looking for guidance.

I have learned that giving you a prop was a lot of responsibility for some of you and I may have to wait another 5-10 years to try that again.

I have learned to accept the change in my dancing and technique as I grow older and I am so thankful for how gracious you are about it.

And lastly, I have learned how lucky I am to have such talented dancers who push me creatively, making my job hard in the very best way.




OK enough mushiness!  Now about those popsicles in the picture above.  We all deserve a little something sweet to celebrate a year of hard work.  So treat yourself (kids, parents and teachers) to these easy to make popsicles that will be sure to keep you cool on the many warm days to come!

Happy Summer!



Blueberry Coconut Water and Kiwi Popsicles (Kid Friendly)


Ingredients
2 kiwis, peeled and diced
1-1/2 cup coconut water
1-1/2 cup blueberry juice

In a large measuring cup combine the coconut water and blueberry juice and set aside.  Place the diced kiwi into the popsicle molds, divided evenly.  Pour the juice mixture into the molds.  Place in the freezer for about 30-45 minutes until it just starts to freeze.  Insert the popsicle sticks into the molds and return to the freezer.  Allow the popsicles to freeze for about 3-4 hours or overnight.  Makes 10 popsicles.








White Wine Sangria Popsicles (21 and over)


Ingredients
1/2 cup diced peach
1/2 cup diced strawberries
1-1/2 cups white wine (I used Chardonnay, but my sister suggests Sauvignon Blanc)
1-1/2 cups pineapple juice

In a large measuring cup combine the wine and pineapple juice and set aside.  Place the diced peaches and strawberries into the popsicle molds, divided evenly.  Pour the juice mixture into the molds.  Place in the freezer for about 1 hour until it just starts to freeze.  Insert the popsicle sticks into the molds and return to the freezer.  Allow the popsicles to freeze overnight.  Remember, alcohol doesn't freeze on its own and takes longer to freeze when combined with other juices.  Makes 10 popsicles.




No comments:

Post a Comment