Pages

Thursday, January 16, 2014

Dancer's Nutrition: Snack Time


As a dance teacher and dancer myself, I am always in need of a snack in between meals and in between classes.  My sister often says I eat like a two year old because I'm always hungry and ready for a snack.  And my response to her is, the more often you eat and in smaller portions has proven to keep your metabolism up (don't worry she agrees, she just likes to give me a hard time...I think).  Keeping my metabolism up is even more important to me as I get older.  While I am usually reaching for some granola, pretzels or a piece fruit I do love a little something more filling and easy to take with me.  



I have to say I am pretty picky when it comes to hummus, especially about the texture.  I like mine to be extra creamy and full of flavor.  So when creating this lovely snack I wanted to keep the ingredients fresh and bright.  I am a lover of basil (hence, my basil-almond pesto) and a fresh squeezed  Meyer lemon is the perfect pair to it.  I know most of the country is covered in snow while I sit her typing in a tank top so I thought some bright spring flavors would boost any ones mood.  Oh, and did I mention that this hummus is healthy?  It's packed with protein, low in calories and super tasty!   

Enjoy!


Basil Hummus



Ingredients
1 - 15 ounce can organic garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained and washed
1 cup fresh organic basil, chopped
1-2 cloves garlic
4 tablespoons sour cream (you can substitute Greek yogurt if preferred)
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons Meyer lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 red pepper flakes (optional)

Place all ingredients into a food processor and blend until smooth.  Serve with a drizzle of olive oil on top with fresh veggies.  Makes about 2 cups. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.





No comments:

Post a Comment