Pages

Monday, January 20, 2014

Dancer's Nutrition: Smoothies!

I admit I have never been a smoothie fan, but upon the request of my lovely dance students I have found a new love for them...sorta.  After perusing Pinterest and getting feed back and suggestions from my dancers, sister and husband I have come up with these two smoothies to share.  


The first is my antioxidant berry mint smoothie which not only contains fresh berries but also coconut water and tart cherry juice.  Coconut water is amazing for hydration and the tart cherry juice contains benefits that many of us can use.  Tart cherry juice contains properties to help with inflammation in joints and muscles and may also help you sleep better, making this smoothie the perfect snack for after a long day of dance classes (or a late night work out).  After the first week back to teaching dance after a long winter break, my body was feeling sore and this smoothie definitely helped.


My second smoothie contains two of my favorite things together, bananas and peanut butter.  At first I started thinking it would be more like a plain old milkshake but then my sister suggested to me to add some spinach for some extra nutrition.  I have to say I was a bit skeptical since I would much rather prefer to eat my veggies and not drink them.  However, the spinach didn't seem to alter the taste at all that much, although, I am still getting over staring at the green color as I taste bananas and peanut butter.   I also added rolled oats to my "green" smoothie making this a breakfast meal on the go.  So I guess we're all covered here on this smoothie, veggies, protein, potassium, fiber and whole grains.  Looks like drinking my breakfast won't be so bad after all and I might actually start liking smoothies.



Antioxidant Berry Mint Smoothie



Ingredients
1/2 cup fresh blueberries
6-8 mint leaves
1/4 cup pomegranate seeds (optional)
1 cup frozen strawberries
1/2 cup tart cherry juice
1/2 cup coconut water

Place all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.  Serve immediately.









Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie



Ingredients
1 cup fresh spinach
2 tablespoons rolled oats
1/4 cup peanut butter
1 large frozen banana, sliced into small pieces
1-1/4 cup almond milk

Place all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth and creamy.  Serve immediately.









Note:  Place the ingredients into the blender in the order that they are listed in the recipes.  This will ensure that your ingredients will blend together better. 





No comments:

Post a Comment