Pages

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Fig Goat Cheese Burger with Crispy Prosciutto

I had the pleasure of enjoying an amazing lunch with my husband yesterday.  We indulged in a super flavorful and juicy burger and complimented it with a new Firestone beer I found  at Whole Foods.  I officially end my summer next week and go back to teaching so I thought we should enjoy our days off while we can.  

I recently was so fortunate to find some really yummy green figs a Trader Joe's.  While I have been enjoying the delicious black figs this summer, it was refreshing to find these sweet and slightly tart beauties.  I often find myself eating them on a piece of toast with goat cheese and drizzle of honey.  So I thought why not combine those figs with the goat cheese and spread it on a burger. I have to say I was quite please by the result and so was Greg.  Enjoy!



Fig Goat Cheese Burger with Crispy Prosciutto


Ingredients
1 pound ground beef (lamb, turkey, chicken or vegetarian will work too)
1/4 of a medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon worcestershire sauce 
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup green fig and goat cheese spread (see notes below)
4 slices prosciutto 
1 large tomato, sliced
1-1/2 cup Arugula
4 hamburger buns or bread of your choice, slightly toasted

In a mixing bowl combine the ground beef, onion, garlic, worcestershire sauce and olive oil.  Season with salt and pepper.  Divide the beef into four and form patties.  Set aside.

In a small pan or on a griddle over medium high heat crisp the prosciutto, cooking it for about 2 minutes on each side.  Remove from pan and set aside.

On either a grill, cast iron skillet, or large pan over high heat cook the burgers for about 3-5 minutes per side or to desired doneness (I was going for medium but as you can see I seemed to hit a medium well instead, but don't worry it was still juicy). 

Place each burger on a slightly toasted bun.  Dollop 1 tablespoon of the green fig and goat cheese spread on each burger.  Top with the crispy prosciutto, tomato and arugula.  Serve immediately.  Makes 4 burgers.




Green Fig and Goat Cheese Spread


Ingredients
3-4 green figs, quartered  (black figs will work too)
4 ounces goat cheese
1 tablespoon fresh thyme
Drizzle of honey
Salt and pepper to taste

In a food processor place the goat cheese and thyme.  Blend until combined and goat cheese is smooth.  Add the figs and blend until combined.  Season with a pinch of salt and pepper and drizzle a bit of honey.  Pulse to combine.  Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 1 week.  





 This is what I had for breakfast.  A warm and crusty baguette topped with the green fig and goat cheese spread and prosciutto.  Just so many things you could put this spread on!!

No comments:

Post a Comment