Pages

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Smashed Blackberry-Basil Toast with Ricotta

If you remember a couple of weeks ago I featured spring time cocktails that I had made for my cousin Challise and her fiancee Zach.  The Blackberry-basil bourbon was so wonderful I could have drank at least 3 (or more), but contrary to popular belief I do use fruit and herbs for other things.  


I have to say I am usually a pretty big breakfast eater.  I love having dippy eggs (eggs over easy) with buttered toast along with my hot cup of coffee in the morning.  Something about the smell of eggs cooking in the pan while my bread toasts in the toaster always puts me in a good mood.  However, there are a few mornings where I do want something a little lighter, especially in the spring and summer months.  So as I  perused my refrigerator a few mornings after making those spring time cocktails I decided why not put those beautiful berries on my toast.  The freshness of the berries and basil on top of the creamy ricotta made for a deliciously perfect breakfast, which I enjoyed in the sunshine on my patio.  With coffee of course.


Smashed Blackberry-Basil Toast with Ricotta


Ingredients
1 piece of bread, toasted
7-9 blackberries, washed
3-4 large basil leaves, washed and chopped
1-2 tablespoons ricotta
Salt and pepper to taste

Place the berries in a small bowl.  Carefully smash them (blackberry will stain) with either a fork or potato smasher.  Add the chopped basil and stir to combine.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Generously spread the ricotta on the toast.  Top with the blackberry mixture and enjoy!

Notes:  All of the ingredients can be adjusted to your taste.  Also a drizzle of olive oil and balsamic would be a great addition.  This recipe can also be made in a larger batch and spread on sliced french bread for a party appetizer.



No comments:

Post a Comment