Pages

Monday, April 15, 2013

Dessert Sandwiches

Happy Monday!  I thought that this week should start off sweet.  As I ended my crazy weekend yesterday, I opened a nice bottle of red wine and gave into my sweet tooth.  I took two of my favorite fruits and a few of my favorite sweet spreads and smashed them between two slices of freshly baked french bread.  To top if off I grilled them in a butter coated pan making this a spin off of my favorite savory sandwich, grilled cheese. 
I thought as I ate them with my husband that these yummy, indulgent sandwiches would be a perfect spring/summer dessert to serve at any party, small or extravagant or just to enjoy at home like I did with a great glass of red wine.  And, don't forget to scrape the plate for every last melty, gooey drop.  Enjoy!



Grilled Almond Butter, Marshmallow Fluff and Banana Sandwich


Ingredients
2 slices french bread
1/2 banana, sliced lengthwise
1 tablespoon almond butter
1 tablespoon marshmallow fluff
1 tablespoon butter

Spread the almond butter on one slice of bread and the marshmallow fluff on the other.  Top the the almond buttered bread slice with the banana.

Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.  Place the prepared slices of bread in the pan.  Cook for 1-2 minutes.  Place the marshmallow fluff slice on top of the banana, almond butter slice.  Cook for 3-5 minutes until golden brown.  Carefully flip the sandwich and cook for another 2-3 minutes until golden brown and the almond butter and marshmallow fluff has melted and become gooey.  Slice the sandwich in half and server immediately.  Makes 1 sandwich.


Grilled Nutella, Dark Chocolate and Roasted Strawberry Sandwich 


Ingredients
2 slices french bread
2-3 large strawberries, sliced
1/2 teaspoon olive oil
Sea salt to taste
1 tablespoon Nutella (more if you are obsessed like myself)
6-9 squares Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate
1 tablespoon butter

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Place the strawberries in a small mixing bowl.  Drizzle the olive oil over the strawberries and season with sea salt.  Toss to combine.  Spread the strawberries on a foil lined baking sheet.  Roast in the oven for 20 minutes.  Remove from oven and allow to rest for about 5 minutes.

Spread the Nutella on one slice of french bread.  Place the roasted strawberries on top of the Nutella.  Then add the dark chocolate squares on top of the strawberries.

Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.  Place both pieces of bread into the skillet and cook for 1-2 minutes.  Place the plain piece of bread on top of the prepared slice of bread cooked side up.  Cook for 3-5 minutes until golden brown.  Carefully flip the sandwich and cook for another 2-3 minutes until golden brown and the chocolate and Nutella has melted.  Slice the sandwich in half and serve immediately.  Makes 1 sandwich.





No comments:

Post a Comment