Pages

Thursday, January 21, 2016

Cast Iron Chicken

It's January, the holidays are over and we're back to the grind. With busy days of work, tyring to keep New Year's resolutions, and reinventing ourselves we still need to find time to make dinner.  I hope you are ready, because I'm about to make it super easy for you.  May I introduce you to my lovely cast iron?  She's (yes, I think it's a female) amazing!  I can't tell you how many great dishes I have made in my cast iron, from the perfect steak to savory scones, roasted veggies, and even brownies.  However, this chicken may take the cake.  


I am not a chicken lover by any means.  I rarely, almost never order it out and I'm super picky when buying it which is why I'm quite partial to Mary's Organic Chicken.  Oh, and those of you being skeptical and judgy over purchasing organic chicken, I promise it won't break your bank.  Besides, knowing where my meat comes from is really important to me.  

I'm a dry chicken hater and this could be the farthest from it.  The basting process, which is super easy, keeps the chicken moist along with a quick sear and finishing in the oven.  When cooking the chicken completely on the stove top you have a pretty good chance of drying out your meat and over cooking.  

I suggest paring this chicken with roasted root vegetables such as carrots, parsnips or a delightful mashed potato.  Well, and of course you should pair it with this great wine from my favorite, Club W.  This Gewürztraminer, unlike chardonnay, is light, floral and fragrant making it a wonderful complement to the sage and butter chicken.  






















Cast Iron Chicken with Sage

Ingredients
4 whole chicken legs
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 tablespoons butter
4-6 sprigs fresh sage (or other fresh herb)
Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Generously season the chicken legs with salt and pepper.  Set aside.

Heat a large cast iron pan over medium high heat.  Add the olive oil and heat until fragrant, about 30 seconds to 1 minute.  Add the butter.  When the butter is about halfway melted add the sage sprigs and stir to infuse the oil and butter.  Add the chicken legs and allow to cook for about 2 minutes.  Using a spoon, carefully baste the chicken with the sage infused olive oil and butter.  Cook for another 5 minutes until browned.  Turn the chicken over and cook until browned, about 5 minutes, and basting in between.  Turn the chicken back over and baste one last time.  

Place the cast iron pan in the oven and bake the chicken for 15-20 minutes.  Remove from the oven and serve immediately.  Makes 4 servings.


***We were not paid to advertise or review Mary's Organic Chicken or Club W.  These are simply our own opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment